COTVET-Project Support Unit
Brief on selected new Skills Development Fund (SDF) Projects in 2013
Brief on selected new Skills Development Fund (SDF) Projects in 2013
1. Name of Grantee: Brong Ahafo Moringa Farmers Association
- Business Activity: This is an association of Moringa growers based in the Brong Ahafo Region. It has a membership of 459 small scale Moringa growers, all located in the region.
- SDF Support: The association has been awarded a grant of Ghc 90,801.00 to process Moringa leaves and seeds into quality end-user products.
2. Name of Grantee: Ejisu-Juaben Pig Farmers & Processors Association
- Business activity: This is a 200 member association of Pig farmers based in Ejisu with the aim of processing and marketing pork and pork products.
- SDF Support: The association has received a grant of GhC 67,500.00 to facilitate an improvement in the management and health of of pigs, increase in slaughter weight of pigs, increase in levels of pig production.
3. Name of Grantee: Volta Region Association of Beekeepers (VORAP)
- Business activity: This association has 1,313 members all located in the Volta Region. The aim of the association is to promote beekeeping as an income generating, poverty alleviation, health, food security and environmental conservation activity.
- SDF Support: SDF is supporting VORAB with a grant of GHC 144,360.00 to implement interventions aimed at improving technical beekeeping and business management skills.
4. Name of Grantee: International Network for Bamboo and Rattan (INBAR)
- Business activity: This is an Inter-Governmental Organisation based in Fumesua in the Ejisu-Juaben Municipality. Its main aim is to research and build the Capacities of its members, Livelihood, Trade and Economic development.
- SDF Support: INBAR seeks to use SDF funds of GHC 222,520.00 to establish a well equipped Bamboo and Rattan Common Facility Centre to be located at the Kumasi Cultural Centre. This centre will create a common platform for easy access to all bamboo and rattan processors operating in Ashanti Region. The centre will also improve the technological and skills input in the production of bamboo and rattan products and facilitating the development of new and higher value products with a wider market potential and access.
5. Name of Grantee: Sleek Garments Export Ltd
- Business activity: Sleek Garments Export is a leading garment and apparel manufacturer based in Accra. It exports most of its products to the USA and Europe.
- SDF Support: SDF is supporting Sleek Garments with a grant of GHC592, 515.00 to train 400 production workers, production supervisors and production management staff in quality control standards and procedures, quality monitoring, coaching and mentoring, packaging and finishing, production planning.
6. Name of Grantee: Ghana Telecom University College (GTUC)
- Business activity: GTUC is one of the leading tertiary institutions engaged in telecommunications and computer technology education in Ghana.
- SDF Support: SDF provided a grant of GHC 396,000.00 to support GTUC develop an innovative training concept and set up a training facility to train professionals of the security services, financial institutions, etc in cyber crime and computer forensics.
7. Name of Grantee: Precious Minerals Marketing Company (PMMC)
- Business activity: PMMC trades in precious metals, manufactures and sells jewellery and provides services to gold exporters in Ghana.
- SDF Support: The firm intends to train 60 staff in diamond polishing and cutting to serve the high demand in West Africa. SDF is providing a grant amount of GHC 584, 263.00
8. Name of Grantee: Kwabre Pig Farmers Association
- Business Activity: Kwabre Pig Farmers Association is a farmer-based organization formed to promote efficiency and profitable pig production.
- SDF Support: The Association is to acquire technical skills training on preparation of cheap feed package /diet using locally available Agro Industrial by Product (AIBP) solution to reduce cost of operation. SDF is supporting the Association with a grant of GHC 68,150.00
9. Name of Grantee : Ainoo – Ansah Farms (AFF)
- Business Activity: The farm is engaged in tilapia hatchery, a piggery, and goat and sheep husbandry. Its flagship project is fish hatchery with a capacity for 200,000 tilapia fingerlings per month. The farm produces and sells fingerlings to fish farmers in the southern sector of Ghana. The hatchery operation consist of 3 main section namely, the broodstock ponds, the incubator and sex reversal at the hatchery and nursery.
- SDF Support: SDF is supporting AAF with a grant of GHC 145,516.35 to acquire innovative technology to expand its production capacity by installing and operating a Re-circulating Aquaculture System (RAS) for the hatchery of tilapia and other fresh water fish, train technical and management personnel of AFF in the operation and management of the new technology.
10. Name of Grantee: Creating Competitive Livestock Entrepreneurs in Agribusiness-CCLEAr of CSIR Animal Research Institute
- Business Activity: CCLEAr, a consortium under the CSIR Animal Research Institute, is a Public-Private incubator of agribusinesses involved in Creating Competitive Livestock Entrepreneurs in Agribusiness
- SDF Support: SDF is supporting CCLEAr with a grant of GHC 1, 606,969.42 to address challenges facing the pig industry: inability to provide or the unavailability of cheap but quality feed for pig production; unavailability of high productive breeds; limited farmer know-how in breeding and good management practices, feed formulation and feeding regime; lack of linkages between producers and markets.
11. Name of Grantee: Apam Canoe Cooperative Fishermen Society (ACCFS)
- Business Activity: ACCFS is a 400 membership association of fishermen and fish mongers engaged in deep-sea fishing and marketing.
- SDF Support: SDF is providing GHC 112,329.00 to fund the acquisition of entrepreneurial skills training to 210 members in key areas of running a business: markets and marketing; production and business organisation; creativity and development of business ideas; record keeping, financial management and negotiations.
12. Name of Grantee: Ghana National Association of Garages – Weija, Accra
- Business Activity: The association is made up of various garages with a membership of 150, all with the same set of challenges.
- SDF Support: SDF is funding a GHC 90,653.85 skills update training in Automobile Engine and Electrical Servicing, Electronic Computer System and Auto Diagnostic.
13. Name of Grantee: KNUST Jewellery Design and Technology Centre (KJDTC)
- Business Activity: KJDTC provides training to jewellery manufacturers across the industry. The centre is a state - of - art school of learning, in the field of diamonds, gold, gems and jewellery at KNUST.
- SDF Support: KJDTC has been awarded a grant of GHC 1,542,300.00 to develop and train industry players on how to use Computer Aided Jewellery Design (CAD) technology in jewellery production.
14. Name of Grantee: Afigya Kwabere Pig Farmers Association
- Business Activity: This is a 46 member pig rearing association based in Afigya Kwabere .
- SDF Support: The association requests funding of GHC 46,060.20 to train its members in improved swine management practices and disease prevention and control.
15. Name of Grantee: Our Lady of Mercy Community Services
- Business Activity: This is an NGO whose mission is to help give alternative livelihood to the informal sector of the economy through employable skills training and entrepreneurship development activities through vocational training, enterprise development, entrepreneurship skills and business management training and ICT training among others.
- SDF Support: SDF grant of GHC 58,750.00 to be used to organise employable skills training for 60 school dropouts and reformed commercial sex workers and also offer innovative skills upgrade via ICT training to 90 selected artisans for one year.
16. Name of Grantee: Ghana Rice Inter Professional Body (GRIB)
- Business Activity: GRIB is a 184 member rice growing association based in Accra. The main objectives of the association are; improve dialogue and consensus between rice stakeholders, collect, and produce and disseminate information on rice sector to members and other stakeholders, identify factor chain constraints and find solutions through pilot technical activities, promote price negotiations and profit sharing mechanisms among stakeholders amongst others.
- SDF Funding: A grant of GHC 100,854.00 has been awarded to the association to train key executives of GRIB as Trainer of Trainers and directly train 30 small holder farmers in a new technology called System Rice Intensification (SRI) technology, which is proven to increase output by 10 metric tonnes per hectare and suitable for small holder farmers.
17. Name of Grantee: Ghana National Association of Garages – Ketu South
- Business Activity: The over 150 member group is the Ketu South District branch of the Ghana National Association of Garages. Members are involved in mechanics, welding, vulcanizing, auto spraying, auto electronic and auto air condition repairs.
- SDF Support: SDF is supporting the group with a grant of GHC 84,168.00 to provide structured training in entrepreneurship; creativity and marketing, production and business organisation, records keeping and financial management, business expansion and how to run a successful business.
18. Name of Grantee: National Association of Beauticians and Hairdressers(NABH), Dormaa Ahenkro
- Business Activity: Grantee is the Dormaa Ahenkro branch of NABH. Members are involved in the craftsmanship of hair and beauty care.
- SDF Support: The Association has been awarded a grant of GHC 74, 327.00 to train its members in the use of hot curler, micro hair strands extension techniques, hair fusion, facial treatment, entrepreneurship and customer care.
19. Name of Grantee: Progressive Electronic Technicians Association of Ghana (PETAG)
- Business Activity: PETAG is a national Association of practicing master craftsperson engaged in the repair, calibration and maintenance of electronic equipment with over 500 members nationwide.
- SDF Support: SDF is supporting the Association with a grant of GHC 90,000.00 to build the capacity and upgrade the skills of 60 master electronic technicians in computer hardware, software, networking and related skills necessary to position them to respond to the changing trend in the electronic industry.
20. Name of Grantee: Cluster of Cape Coast Soap Makers
- Business Activity: The Cluster is a group of women engaged in soap production in the Cape-Coast metropolis.
- SDF Support: The Cluster has been awarded a grant of GHC 42,351.00 to train 25 members in soap making, fragrance application techniques, entrepreneurship and small business management.
21. Name of Grantee: Wood Cluster Initiative
- Business Activities: This is a cluster of wood processors based in Akyawkrom in the Ashanti region. It was established to strengthen the wood processing sector of the timber industry.
- SDF Funding: The group has been awarded an SDF grant of GHC 119,466.00 to undertake training in AutoCad, IT, MS Office, Email and Internet and also develop and launch a web portal.
22. Name of Grantee: Agri Commercial Servicing Limited (ACSL)
- Business Activity: ACSL is a Ghanaian owned seed and tomato farming enterprise based in Wenchi. They produce hybrid maize, hybrid sorghum and cowpea for farmers.
- SDF Funding: The company has been a awarded a grant of GHC 272,855.00 to train its staff and out-grower farmers to adopt modified green house for the cultivation of fresh tomatoes, cucumber, pepper and cabbage which can be done all-year round. It will also train farmers to adopt ‘bio char’ produced from agricultural waste to reduce soil acidity.
23. Name of Grantee: Persol Systems Limited
- Business Activity: Persol Systems Ltd is a software development firm delivering top range software products and IT solutions to businesses in Africa.
- SDF Funding: Persol Systems Ltd has been given a grant of GHC 327,758.10 to train its technical staff in mobile and hosted software on the web and acquire software development tools to facilitate the testing and development of a new Persol HCM software.
24. Name of Grantee: Bosomtwi District Poultry/Livestock Farmers Association
- Business Activity: This is a 31 member group of livestock and poultry farmers based in the Bosomtwi District in the Ashanti region.
- SDF Funding: The Association has been awarded a grant of GHC 45,870.30 to train its members on how to reduce the rate of mortality on their farms. The farmers will also be trained on usage of RE3, an organic feed supplement.
25. Name of Grantee: Eureka Garages Association (EGASS)
- Business Activity: EGASS was formed by artisans in the fields of welding, fitting, spraying, blacksmithing, vulcanizing, mechanics and car body building in Techiman Municipality to bring sanity into their works by bringing them under one umbrella. The association has a membership of 750.
- SDF Funding: EGASS has been awarded a grant of GHC105, 003 to upgrade the skills of 150 members in modern auto mechanic technology and basic computer literacy.
1st: Call 14th July 2011-16 Sept 2011. (Closed)
2nd: Call 31st July 2012 - 28th Sept. 2012 (Closed)
4th: Call September 2013
5th: Call January 2014
6th: Call June 2014
7th: Call January 2015
8th: Call June 2015
NEWS & EVENTS12April2013The Skill Development Fund (SDF) of the Council for Technical and Vocational Education and Training (COTVET), yesterday, awarded over GHC15million to over 40 small, medium, large economic units and ot11April2013
The Skills Development Fund (SDF) has awarded grants totaling GH¢15 million to 40 small, medium and large businesses acros11April2013Accra, April 11, GNA -The Skills Development Fund (SDF) on Thursday presented grants totalling GH¢15 million to 40 small, Medium and Large Scale Industries, Science, Technology and Research Instituti15March2013The Skills Development Fund (SDF) has approved the disbursement of GH¢10.3 million to support the acquisition of new and innovative skills and technology by 38 small, medium and large scale industrie19November2012The evaluation of proposals received under the 2nd call of the Skills Development Fund (SDF) is underway. A total of about 428 proposals have so far been processed by the SDF for evaluation. It is exp